<$BlogRSDURL$>
Prison Pete

Google
 
Tuesday, April 19, 2005
  Frustration.
I am explaining how I sort of worked through the frustration I felt after getting your letter, not to put guilt on you, but to show how one tries to deal with stress in prison.

I am not expecting our relationship to be stress free. I am hoping, as I will explain in a bit, that certain issues can be better expressed; but do not feel you did anything wrong. I do not want or expect you to walk on eggshells so to speak.

I just realized that this coming Thursday is the expiration date shown on the label of the NY Times. I was going to write a letter to Mom and Dad, but opted to call instead. I also sent a letter with one of the labels in it.

I am torn between calling home (I did not mention it when I called last Friday) or just dropping a letter in the mail that they will not get till next Wednesday. See, this is just another of those frustrating things.

I guess the biggest issue in your letter was the last three paragraphs. My take is you do not have to feel guilty telling me no. See, here I am telling you how to feel. Per my earlier letter, I realize the Catch-22 of this. I cannot tell you how to feel. Your feelings are just that: your feelings. So the following is more an attempt to explain why I asked you about doing some purchasing.

If you feel guilty saying no to me, thus the rant about all you do for me, then one thing I can do is not ask. But as you will see, I wanted to explain what the options were, taking into account your previous objections, to see if anything was possible.

I realize your tolerance is low when dealing with "doing things" for me and that when roadblocks come up, I want to reach out and club those parties that make difficult your attempts to complete your various random acts of kindness.

I am thinking of the aborted attempt to "surprise me" with the Harry Potter books for my birthday last year. No one had every tried to make my birthday special since the first one I had in the county jail in North Carolina when Karen made special arrangements for a birthday visit.

So I was all excited. I knew I was getting a gift, books, but at the time I did not know the contents. Then Club Fed in its infinite wisdom, decided to fuck things up. It was not the first time they had done that, but that was the worst time to do it.

There have been the ornery U.S Post Office workers, and the changing regulations about using media mail (book rate), and again BOP changing regulations about who could send books and the local prison deciding how many. Yes, I put myself in here but you sir, have done a noble job to make the time a lot better for me.

I do not know how this is going to read, but I am going to err on the side of wordiness just so you can see how my mind is working. So you were willing to spend a sizable chunk of change to send me the books. The hot pot is a one-time purchase that I will use every day and I thought it was something you could do with a minimum of effort. I do not mean to sound presumptuous, but I do not ask you to spend your money on me without some degree of trepidation.

You also had asked in one of your recent letters, after you had turned down my initial request to do food shopping while Mom and Dad were in Georgia, if you could occasionally send me a food package. You had said it would be a random event, but you did not want to have to check with Mom and Dad. That was the last thing that you had said.

Since the issue of coordination with my parents was no longer an issue, I decided to give you the possibilities that might work for me. To use a legal term, I felt there was a "change in circumstance", not just me trying to wear you down or badger you to do something you already refused. That is why I brought the issue up.

I also had changed my expectation of trying to maintain a constant supply of fresh fruit, looking at the package option as a treat and special occasional type of event.
 
Comments: Post a Comment
DIARY OF A PRISONER

View my profile
Contact Prison Pete
Contact the Editor
Blogroll Me!

ARCHIVES
December 2010
November 2010
October 2010
September 2010
August 2010
July 2010
June 2010
May 2010
April 2010
March 2010
February 2010
January 2010

December 2009
November 2009
October 2009
September 2009
August 2009
July 2009
June 2009
May 2009
April 2009
March 2009
February 2009
January 2009

December 2008
November 2008
October 2008
September 2008
August 2008
July 2008
June 2008
May 2008
April 2008
March 2008
February 2008
January 2008

December 2007
November 2007
October 2007
September 2007
August 2007
July 2007
June 2007
May 2007
April 2007
March 2007
February 2007
January 2007

December 2006
November 2006
October 2006
September 2006
August 2006
July 2006
June 2006
May 2006
April 2006
March 2006
February 2006
January 2006

December 2005
November 2005
October 2005
September 2005
August 2005
July 2005
June 2005
May 2005
April 2005
March 2005
February 2005
January 2005

December 2004
November 2004
October 2004
September 2004
August 2004
July 2004
June 2004
May 2004
April 2004

PETE'S BLOGROLL


Powered by Blogger




PETE'S FAVORITES

Authors
Emily Dickinson
Janet Evanovich
Ian Fleming
Jonathan Franzen
Robert Fulghum
Sue Grafton
Tami Hoag
Jean Shepherd

Musicians
Johann Sebastian Bach
Beatles
Beethoven
Virgil Fox
Benny Goodman
Vladimir Horowitz
Itzhak Perlman
David Russell
Lonnie Smith

Radio and TV Shows
All Things Considered
Capitol Steps
Fawlty Towers
Fresh Air
The Infinite Mind
Jazz After Hours
Jeeves and Wooster
Pipe Dreams
symphonyspace.org

Media, Publishers, Networks
Amazon
Augsberg Fortress Press
Hamilton Bookseller
hamiltonbook.com
NY Daily News
NY Newsday
NY Times
NPR
PBS
PC Magazine
WNED Buffalo, NY

Helpful Organizations
Kauffman.org
WKKF.org

Government
Federal Bureau of Prisons
NY State Court of Appeals
NY State Department of Corrections

Other
Typing with a Dvorak keyboard
Fastback Book Binding System
Who links to me?