<$BlogRSDURL$>
Prison Pete

Google
 
Friday, August 27, 2004
  Sports fans.
The biggest problem I have in here is that I still find the need for some instant gratification, such as an idea that I want to share with someone, and have them tell me how great I am.

I have learned to let out the ideas a little at a time, enabling me to get feedback and take other opinions in along the way.

But how do I do that with snail mail and fifteen minute, $3.00 phone calls? (And not more than one call every hour.)

And how can I learn to change my less than perfect people skills?

Damn, I just ran out of the correction ribbon, went to get a new one, and now I lost the train of thought.

I end up feeling sorry for myself and sort of shut down and retreat into a book, and drift off to a place and a life beyond the razor wire. So, all of a sudden, a few day funk turns into a couple of weeks, and I am not doing my bit to keep the communication/conversation between us flowing.

Maybe flowing is not the right word. You have more resources to generate "stuff", but on the other hand, I have such a rich garden of day to day experiences to harvest from and convert to writing for your reading pleasure.

For example, the "colorful" description of the two top "sport" events played on the TV's here: the RED neck racing and "Basically BLACK" basketball.

The only exception is when a black person shows up to play golf (Tiger Woods) or tennis (the Williams sisters). Then, all of a sudden it is like everyone is a diehard tennis or golf fan. Yes, it is great to cheer on your "ethnic pride", but the reasons are not always so altruistic.

The ogling of the females in tennis and the dream of the big bucks of golf is not my idea of a "sports fan."

A case in point in when BET broadcasts their annual Gospel show, and the scarcity of any inmates to watch except when one of the younger women are singing and happen to be wearing a thigh-high slit dress or other "eye candy" type of apparel.

Then they stare at the TV, ogle away, and as soon as the song is over, that is it.

I do not know if you have heard of a black singer named Alicia Keys. She can actually sing (I think she has one of those four to five octave range voices) and she also plays the piano.

Well, the two videos she has done were more performance type vs. the barely dressed jiggling flesh type, and the music had melody and verses. Thus, the viewing of her videos is not a stop everything and "Hey, homie, watch this joint, it is the mother-fucking bomb" type of experience.

As a matter of fact, if you do a search of her name in the NY Daily News, you would find articles which question her sexuality just because she refused to show up in her videos half-dressed and slithering up against a bunch of black thugs. Well, it turns out she caved in and showed up somewhere with her long-term boyfriend just to shut up the bullshit.

I think it is a terrible statement of the black race, which, when one of their own does not "perform" to the proper standard, they can sit in judgment of that person, yet in the case of Kobe Bryant or Michael Jackson, hell, hero worship is the only thing. Yeah, one is innocent until proven guilty, but in Kobe’s case, he has admitted to cheating on his wife, and where is the outrage in the black community at his blatantly throwing out any type of family values?

Hell, we tried to impeach Clinton for that and spent millions of taxpayer dollars checking all his possible indiscretions. Even in Clinton’s book, the buzz I caught on the news last night was all about who he did, and when, and how often.

This is certainly not quality writing at all, and is all over the place.

I have gotten used to drinking room temperature, unsweetened brewed tea. I brew two bags in a twenty ounce hot cup and then pour it into a thirty two ounce sports bottle that is filled with ice. I can feel the difference in my ability to keep to a task when I have a higher level of caffeine in me.

Could you say it is all in my head? Ha ha, but who knows. Sometimes it does not matter at all.

A.D.D. is a great excuse sometimes.
 
Comments:
hey pete(can i call u pete)
i just stumbled upon your blog....i forgot how and for a guy in prison u pretty sure do lead an interestin life...maybe its Gods gift....
well just wanted to let u know...im reading and will try my best to read every day(i get depressed sometimes so i like to wallow in my depression)
plz come visit my site
http://www.tabulas.com/~ainjiwa
thanks
 
Pete,
Your mind isn’t playing tricks on you at all. If you do have A.D.D. (which all of us have in some degree), caffeine (such as Iced Tea) helps to stimulate the frontal lobes of your brain and studies have shown that with disorders such as A.D.D. and A.D.H.D. the frontal lobes tend to be deficient in operation. Medications for children and adults consist of some type of stimulant modified for a timed release. I know it sounds odd that children with hyperactivity are medicated with stimulants, but they need caffeine to help the neurons to fire in the front part of the brain, which helps to slow down the thought process and induce “self talk.” (Self-talk is like your conscience… it helps you decide what actions are wrong and what actions are right.) So there is your little lesson for the day (if you get to read this at all). You seem to be searching for any thought provoking materials you can get your hands on (understandably) so I thought I'd help you out. Happy reading!
Suzie
 
Hey Pete!
I'm trying to set up a blog for my publishing site and I came across your blog. I wanna tell ya, your english/writing skills are WAY above most things I read for 'work'. It is a pleasure to read. I also think most folks are missing the mark, somewhat, in their comments to your posts. My opinion.

Now, how the heck do ya get the 'Post Comment' thing to work?!
Oh, a rhetorical question that would be!
 
Post a Comment
DIARY OF A PRISONER

View my profile
Contact Prison Pete
Contact the Editor
Blogroll Me!

ARCHIVES
December 2010
November 2010
October 2010
September 2010
August 2010
July 2010
June 2010
May 2010
April 2010
March 2010
February 2010
January 2010

December 2009
November 2009
October 2009
September 2009
August 2009
July 2009
June 2009
May 2009
April 2009
March 2009
February 2009
January 2009

December 2008
November 2008
October 2008
September 2008
August 2008
July 2008
June 2008
May 2008
April 2008
March 2008
February 2008
January 2008

December 2007
November 2007
October 2007
September 2007
August 2007
July 2007
June 2007
May 2007
April 2007
March 2007
February 2007
January 2007

December 2006
November 2006
October 2006
September 2006
August 2006
July 2006
June 2006
May 2006
April 2006
March 2006
February 2006
January 2006

December 2005
November 2005
October 2005
September 2005
August 2005
July 2005
June 2005
May 2005
April 2005
March 2005
February 2005
January 2005

December 2004
November 2004
October 2004
September 2004
August 2004
July 2004
June 2004
May 2004
April 2004

PETE'S BLOGROLL


Powered by Blogger




PETE'S FAVORITES

Authors
Emily Dickinson
Janet Evanovich
Ian Fleming
Jonathan Franzen
Robert Fulghum
Sue Grafton
Tami Hoag
Jean Shepherd

Musicians
Johann Sebastian Bach
Beatles
Beethoven
Virgil Fox
Benny Goodman
Vladimir Horowitz
Itzhak Perlman
David Russell
Lonnie Smith

Radio and TV Shows
All Things Considered
Capitol Steps
Fawlty Towers
Fresh Air
The Infinite Mind
Jazz After Hours
Jeeves and Wooster
Pipe Dreams
symphonyspace.org

Media, Publishers, Networks
Amazon
Augsberg Fortress Press
Hamilton Bookseller
hamiltonbook.com
NY Daily News
NY Newsday
NY Times
NPR
PBS
PC Magazine
WNED Buffalo, NY

Helpful Organizations
Kauffman.org
WKKF.org

Government
Federal Bureau of Prisons
NY State Court of Appeals
NY State Department of Corrections

Other
Typing with a Dvorak keyboard
Fastback Book Binding System
Who links to me?