<$BlogRSDURL$>
Prison Pete

Google
 
Monday, November 29, 2004
  Final release clearance.
Well, barring a last-minute change, tonight is my last Friday night in Federal prison. I received my "final release clearance sheet" today at mail call. I also received what seems to be your last letter to be sent to me here at Club Fed. I am now listening to my last Music From The Mountain. Tonight he is featuring a group from Utica, NY.

According to the release form I received, I am to report to the Lieutenant's office at 2:30 PM on Tuesday. So it would appear that I am going to be dumped off at the regional county jail. I doubt I would be picked up so late in the day. The last time, the detectives had flown down from NY the previous day and picked me up in the morning.

I am going to try and travel with a few stamps, paper, and envelopes. Maybe you will even get a note while I am in transit? Who knows?

Yeah, I can write neat, but it is painful! But then again, it is less painful for you, the Editor. The other thing I thought of as I was reading your letter was, OK, you can type, so handwriting is not an issue, and even in a funk you push a few buttons and voila! Instant envelope stuffing! Not that there is anything wrong with that! Ha ha!

I have spread out my last meals of rice and mackerel in undisclosed, secure locations to prevent their capture by the locker terrorists!

I was lucky to get a "good" quality pair of headphones that I have even carried to the shower.

Tonight from 9:00 PM to 11:00 PM on NPR is a new program on Leonard Bernstein! Monday there was a broadcast of the opening of the new jazz facility at Lincoln Center.

Wherever I end up, I hope there is still an NPR station. I will miss some of the WV Public Radio programs, but as long as I can hear some signs of intelligent life, I can make it!

Well, it is now Saturday at 2:30 PM. I had been writing last night when my cellie needed to use the bathroom, so I ended up bumming around in the Day Area while the room became habitable! So now I will try to put the 7,000 different thoughts in my head down on paper!

The prison here has no purchasing control. Each department can buy their own supplies. So you have twelve to fifteen different people making trips to the local Staples store instead of using the Staples National Government Contract with products at half the store price, plus they deliver for free!

The Mobile MRI truck was in today, so we were locked in at 1:30 PM and just got counted at 2:00 PM. We will be locked in till after the 4:00 PM count. Actually it's not all that tragic, since instead of having over one hundred inmates screaming at the top of their lungs, it is nice and quiet.

Today I listened to the last of some of my favorite programs on good old NPR. This morning at 10:00 AM it was Car Talk. This afternoon the Houston Grand Opera presented The Barber of Seville. Now at 6:00 PM I am listening to Prairie Home Companion! It will take me through 8:00 PM.

The track at Rec is mostly mud, so we passed on the nightly walk yesterday. Lame to be sure, but my boots have a smooth sole and simply slip on the mud as if it was an ice pond!

Today's lunch in the chow hall was what they call "cheese steak." It is served once a month. Today's version consisted of shredded beef that had the consistency of shredded plastic grocery bags. It was the kind of meal that gives Philly cheese steaks a bad name. They did get the greasy part right however, and I must admit that the rolls were nice and soft! They no longer bake from scratch here. Most bread products are of the frozen bake-to-serve type. And sometimes it does actually come out right!

Dinner was my usual mackerel and rice. Since I no longer have a lock on my locker, I picked up a bag of rice and two mackerel from my undisclosed, secure location!

I know this is all over the place. So now I will relax and listen to the radio for a bit. More to come!
 
Comments:
I hope your new digs are better than the old. Can't wait to hear more about your travel and the new location.
 
Hey Pete, Hope this new place is much better. By the way, I noticed that you hardly talk about your inmates. Why is that so? Oh, you dont have to answer if you dont want to.
 
Post a Comment
DIARY OF A PRISONER

View my profile
Contact Prison Pete
Contact the Editor
Blogroll Me!

ARCHIVES
December 2010
November 2010
October 2010
September 2010
August 2010
July 2010
June 2010
May 2010
April 2010
March 2010
February 2010
January 2010

December 2009
November 2009
October 2009
September 2009
August 2009
July 2009
June 2009
May 2009
April 2009
March 2009
February 2009
January 2009

December 2008
November 2008
October 2008
September 2008
August 2008
July 2008
June 2008
May 2008
April 2008
March 2008
February 2008
January 2008

December 2007
November 2007
October 2007
September 2007
August 2007
July 2007
June 2007
May 2007
April 2007
March 2007
February 2007
January 2007

December 2006
November 2006
October 2006
September 2006
August 2006
July 2006
June 2006
May 2006
April 2006
March 2006
February 2006
January 2006

December 2005
November 2005
October 2005
September 2005
August 2005
July 2005
June 2005
May 2005
April 2005
March 2005
February 2005
January 2005

December 2004
November 2004
October 2004
September 2004
August 2004
July 2004
June 2004
May 2004
April 2004

PETE'S BLOGROLL


Powered by Blogger




PETE'S FAVORITES

Authors
Emily Dickinson
Janet Evanovich
Ian Fleming
Jonathan Franzen
Robert Fulghum
Sue Grafton
Tami Hoag
Jean Shepherd

Musicians
Johann Sebastian Bach
Beatles
Beethoven
Virgil Fox
Benny Goodman
Vladimir Horowitz
Itzhak Perlman
David Russell
Lonnie Smith

Radio and TV Shows
All Things Considered
Capitol Steps
Fawlty Towers
Fresh Air
The Infinite Mind
Jazz After Hours
Jeeves and Wooster
Pipe Dreams
symphonyspace.org

Media, Publishers, Networks
Amazon
Augsberg Fortress Press
Hamilton Bookseller
hamiltonbook.com
NY Daily News
NY Newsday
NY Times
NPR
PBS
PC Magazine
WNED Buffalo, NY

Helpful Organizations
Kauffman.org
WKKF.org

Government
Federal Bureau of Prisons
NY State Court of Appeals
NY State Department of Corrections

Other
Typing with a Dvorak keyboard
Fastback Book Binding System
Who links to me?