<$BlogRSDURL$>
Prison Pete

Google
 
Friday, January 07, 2005
  Reply to the Editor about "feeling used."
Well, I got your "feeling used" letter yesterday. Great, I am locked in a cage with no comfort food and you are pissed at me. Hmm, the last time you dropped some negative waves my way it was during one of Club Fed's famous fog lock downs.

I finally got my commissary order today, so I now have pen and paper to write with, but I put down three envelopes on the sheet but only put 45¢ on the price, so no envelopes for me till Tuesday. I am going to try and borrow one envelope today so I can mail this out tonight, but I am not sure if I can get one.

I have had lots of time to think on your letter since sleep was difficult last night. As of now at 9:00 AM, MTV is on the TV playing loudly. They do not have BET, but MTV has enough rap to drive one around the bend! Last night over two hours of MTV and then two hours of wrestling! There is no way to hide from the noise. They crank up the volume and then talk even louder over it.

I was mysteriously switched from a more mature type cell block to my current location which has many twenty-something’s, and they are all here for getting in fights. This is rather disturbing.

One of the other cells, not next to mine, has had coffee, milk, and other debris tossed in his cell every day. Today he complained to the sergeant as he made his rounds and was told "Tough luck, everyone has to get along!"

The point is for the last eight days I have lived in a 6’ x 7’ cage without any comforts save a few books. They let five cells out for three hours at a time.

Now I am not asking for your pity. Prison has broken me of the "poor me" bit. But I am working on telling you how you are not being "used."

I know from your recent letters and our phone talks that life has been piling a lot of stuff on you. This is not to say your feelings about me are unjustified or your regrets of all the effort you have put into the blog is not true. They are.

But I would like to think we have moved much further. I think we have developed a very deep friendship. I have shared with you not to entertain you or gross you out but in hopes that we can continue to understand each other and how each of us has dealt with what life has dealt us and how we have dealt with it.

As I have said many times, one thing I have "learned" in prison is that for me at least, life is not a series of compartments but one long continuum where each piece of my life affects and causes further actions on the rest of my life. As we have both agreed, we have shared our thoughts with each other and that has no value assigned. It is indeed priceless, for me anyhow, because I realize that it requires a lot of trust on my side to share stuff with you.

What do I trust you to do (or not do)? Well, what I am saying is this: trust does not preclude you from saying hold it, I do not want to go there, etc. But I trust in sharing with you each "event" or "issue" is taken as part of the whole me.

I have also learned a lot about allowing people to do what they want when it comes to doing things for me. By this, I might not agree with the process that someone takes to do something for me, but just like lending money, once it leaves my control it is up to others to do it their way.

So you did exactly what your initial concerns with the blog were, dived in hook, line, and sinker. I thought it would be a much smaller project, but you managed to really make it fly. I have told several people about all your efforts and how honored I was to have you as a friend. This is also echoed by many of the posts on the blog, so you are due all praise and glory for your work.

You have said before that I am a captive audience. This is true. On more than one occasion you have dumped your problems on me and I thought I was a good listener and responded to your woes with positivity and understanding.

True, at this time I do have few financial resources to share with you, but I have spent a lot of time writing to you and while some of my writing is not of much use or quality, hopefully most of what I write has meant something to you.
 
Comments:
Hey Pete,
Ohhh your gona get a kick out of this!! I got the bomb dropped on me by this guy on my "cutewomenprisoners" message board(open Yahoo discussion board in case ur wondering).He says he is w/ some association called the "Nat. Jud. Review"....I happened to mention the word "Club Fed"(will go back and copy/paste for you,the conversation...Anyways,he totally went beserk that I mentioned the word "Club Fed"!! Of course the other members on the board backed me in that he was just an angry ol man looking to pick on someone....lol...But I've seen you use the term? What is your opinion on this? And what the heck is National Judicial Review about?
You KNOW I personally know that the loss of freedom is DEVASTATING,not to mention what you have to endure inside the walls,whether it be state or fed.So please don't think I made it sound as tho you were vacationing....I just said there were different rules as far as what u can where when u initially go into the pen....but i simply said "I CAN ONLY SPEAK FOR THE STATE OF TEXAS"...This guy went nutso,when I said Club Fed...will copy/paste in a few.I was recently in a wreck...deer ran out in front of my car(broken neck,and in a body thingy from my forehead to waste,shattered left arm needing pins put in soon),and daaaannng I'm in so much pain...but will pick up where I left off later,K?
Pete,ur totally cool.I love ur site!!! Plzz....keep em coming!
 
I have said this before dear Editor. I feel that you are being used for his idea of self importance and you dear Sir are an enabler. Its ok to tell him (Pete) no. Its ok for you to be selfish and take care of you and yours. You apparently have quite a few problems that are lurking in your personal life due to taking on this project. I know that you have asked a few for some help. Reading the tone of his letters he is trying to place guilt you. Even though he states that he is not. I read it loud and clear. Family first dear Editor. The blog can wait - reading about his need for mackerel and diet coke isnt that important.
 
Hi Nelle Belle,
I agree with everything you say. Six months or so ago when he originally proposed the idea of the blog, I first said no, and sometimes I wish I had stuck to this answer, but later I reconsidered because it sounded like it might be fun. I will say that I have enjoyed the blog (and still do) but it is an incredible amount of work and I just don't have the time for it any more and I cannot keep up with the volume of his writing. As you can probably tell, Pete is the type of person who will keep asking for more and more and I let myself get sucked into this and I suffered for it. Incredibly to me, even after telling him I feel used, he has asked me to do even more things for him! I have usually ignored these requests but lately I have started pushing back and saying no. I should have done this a long time ago. He knows he is not in a position to push me too hard lest I just ignore him completely. As for the blog, it is more manageable with typing help that several readers have generously offered, but the editing still takes a lot of time. If he sent one letter per week I could handle it, but three or four letters per week and I am overwhelmed. This is what caused me to say I was feeling used. But here I am late at night working on the blog again instead of doing something else that needs to be done! Eventually I think I will get over my obsession with the blog or I will get bored and I'll stop, and Pete and I will go back to simply writing to each other as we have for many years.
- Editor
 
Post a Comment
DIARY OF A PRISONER

View my profile
Contact Prison Pete
Contact the Editor
Blogroll Me!

ARCHIVES
December 2010
November 2010
October 2010
September 2010
August 2010
July 2010
June 2010
May 2010
April 2010
March 2010
February 2010
January 2010

December 2009
November 2009
October 2009
September 2009
August 2009
July 2009
June 2009
May 2009
April 2009
March 2009
February 2009
January 2009

December 2008
November 2008
October 2008
September 2008
August 2008
July 2008
June 2008
May 2008
April 2008
March 2008
February 2008
January 2008

December 2007
November 2007
October 2007
September 2007
August 2007
July 2007
June 2007
May 2007
April 2007
March 2007
February 2007
January 2007

December 2006
November 2006
October 2006
September 2006
August 2006
July 2006
June 2006
May 2006
April 2006
March 2006
February 2006
January 2006

December 2005
November 2005
October 2005
September 2005
August 2005
July 2005
June 2005
May 2005
April 2005
March 2005
February 2005
January 2005

December 2004
November 2004
October 2004
September 2004
August 2004
July 2004
June 2004
May 2004
April 2004

PETE'S BLOGROLL


Powered by Blogger




PETE'S FAVORITES

Authors
Emily Dickinson
Janet Evanovich
Ian Fleming
Jonathan Franzen
Robert Fulghum
Sue Grafton
Tami Hoag
Jean Shepherd

Musicians
Johann Sebastian Bach
Beatles
Beethoven
Virgil Fox
Benny Goodman
Vladimir Horowitz
Itzhak Perlman
David Russell
Lonnie Smith

Radio and TV Shows
All Things Considered
Capitol Steps
Fawlty Towers
Fresh Air
The Infinite Mind
Jazz After Hours
Jeeves and Wooster
Pipe Dreams
symphonyspace.org

Media, Publishers, Networks
Amazon
Augsberg Fortress Press
Hamilton Bookseller
hamiltonbook.com
NY Daily News
NY Newsday
NY Times
NPR
PBS
PC Magazine
WNED Buffalo, NY

Helpful Organizations
Kauffman.org
WKKF.org

Government
Federal Bureau of Prisons
NY State Court of Appeals
NY State Department of Corrections

Other
Typing with a Dvorak keyboard
Fastback Book Binding System
Who links to me?