<$BlogRSDURL$>
Prison Pete

Google
 
Saturday, October 29, 2005
  Baseball Disappointments.
I sent mental condolences your way. I was listening to the last innings of the Yankees demise in the Fall Classic, 2005. Knew you would be in mourning. Sure am glad they settled the hockey strike.

I had flash backs to all the times of being at (and listening to) NY Mets games. Always getting down to the ninth inning and hoping they would pull out the win. Yes they did it once, the infamous ball between the legs in Game Six of the World Series.

I guess after sitting through all the disappointments, that became the one comeback to remember. Then they, the Mets, have resumed the traditional racing to the cellar, a couple bright spots along the way, but I have certainly not followed them closely since. Of course it was after that magic year that the divorce happened and since the Mets were actually something the wife and I did as a couple, it did not have the same pull for me any longer.

I was going to mention about website for Electronic Musician. It seems a shame to just toss out the magazines but I really have to learn to toss them. I got searched this past Sunday and it could have been real trouble with all the papers, magazines, and books I have in my locker. I really need to pare it down.

That reminds me, I will have my Dad check out if there is a discount for the electronic access to the Times that might apply since we pay for the mail subscription rate.

I will probably use the smaller envelopes for anything up to eight pages and the larger envelopes for anything over that. The postal weights are a real good tool. Thank you. Normally it would not matter but it appears the prison mail room feels it is its duty to make sure we inmates pay all the postage that is due the government. This way I will be able to put on the proper postage and not have to end up with the envelope coming back the next day.

Paying for news articles without being able to see them first is not a very effective way to do any kind of research. Do you have any access to these types of sites via the public library? I remember the excitement of looking up old stories on the microfilm. They were advertising a new electronic edition. Is it anything earth shaking? On the flipside at least anyone wanting to read old news stories will have to help pay for the cost of archiving them.

Another thing for me to do. Write a letter to the Deputy Superintendent for programs about the DVD reception. Just like at Club Fed, they have one DVD player for the entire prison. Not sure how many televisions are involved. I still have no idea how many inmates are here. It would be great to have our own DVD/TV but then there would be all kinds of fights over how to show the movies, which features to look at etc. They do run the DVD through some sort of 'switch' since we view it on channel 88. I assume all they have to do at this point is put some sort of signal amplifier as the signal comes out the player and bingo, clear picture.

I do keep up on the DVD format wars, either what appears in the New York Times or the columns in PC Magazine.

I have seen the Howard Stern E! show a few times while at Club Fed. It is more tease then anything else. I am curious about Stern's latest project on On Demand TV. From what he has said about it, it is all the E! shows unscrambled. Part of me would love to see all the stuff he gets to see, but on the other hand I think that is part of what makes him the 'star' he is. The ability to paint the scene with words. Helping the listener use his mind. If you could see everything live, why would you need his words or his 'creative talent?' It has already been proven with the glut of reality programs on the boob tube, that for a given amount of money you can find a human who will do just about anything.

Creativity is the key. I read about the woman kicked off the plane for wearing the Fuckers t-shirt, and is one I agree with and I can say that not being a fan of Mr. Bush. The book I was reading had a scene set at the annual Yale vs. Harvard football game and someone is wearing a shirt 'Yuck Fale' The point is the same in both cases but the letter swapping is certainly a lot less offensive and certainly more creative. The movie Meet the Fockers is another cheap and not very creative use of the English language.

Music. How much is too much. I remember the days I used to ride my bike through the streets of Brooklyn. You needed to have all your senses attuned to what is going on at all times. Blotting off the ears could be a fatal mistake. Hey even walking the perimeter of the yard at Club Fed, it was impossible to have both ears fully covered and be able to maintain a sense of knowing what was going on around you. About the only exception to that were the times when I would be the only one walking the track as described in the post "Walking in the rain with the one you love."
 
Comments:
HAPPY HALLOWEEN PETE & EDITOR!!
:-}
 
Post a Comment
DIARY OF A PRISONER

View my profile
Contact Prison Pete
Contact the Editor
Blogroll Me!

ARCHIVES
December 2010
November 2010
October 2010
September 2010
August 2010
July 2010
June 2010
May 2010
April 2010
March 2010
February 2010
January 2010

December 2009
November 2009
October 2009
September 2009
August 2009
July 2009
June 2009
May 2009
April 2009
March 2009
February 2009
January 2009

December 2008
November 2008
October 2008
September 2008
August 2008
July 2008
June 2008
May 2008
April 2008
March 2008
February 2008
January 2008

December 2007
November 2007
October 2007
September 2007
August 2007
July 2007
June 2007
May 2007
April 2007
March 2007
February 2007
January 2007

December 2006
November 2006
October 2006
September 2006
August 2006
July 2006
June 2006
May 2006
April 2006
March 2006
February 2006
January 2006

December 2005
November 2005
October 2005
September 2005
August 2005
July 2005
June 2005
May 2005
April 2005
March 2005
February 2005
January 2005

December 2004
November 2004
October 2004
September 2004
August 2004
July 2004
June 2004
May 2004
April 2004

PETE'S BLOGROLL


Powered by Blogger




PETE'S FAVORITES

Authors
Emily Dickinson
Janet Evanovich
Ian Fleming
Jonathan Franzen
Robert Fulghum
Sue Grafton
Tami Hoag
Jean Shepherd

Musicians
Johann Sebastian Bach
Beatles
Beethoven
Virgil Fox
Benny Goodman
Vladimir Horowitz
Itzhak Perlman
David Russell
Lonnie Smith

Radio and TV Shows
All Things Considered
Capitol Steps
Fawlty Towers
Fresh Air
The Infinite Mind
Jazz After Hours
Jeeves and Wooster
Pipe Dreams
symphonyspace.org

Media, Publishers, Networks
Amazon
Augsberg Fortress Press
Hamilton Bookseller
hamiltonbook.com
NY Daily News
NY Newsday
NY Times
NPR
PBS
PC Magazine
WNED Buffalo, NY

Helpful Organizations
Kauffman.org
WKKF.org

Government
Federal Bureau of Prisons
NY State Court of Appeals
NY State Department of Corrections

Other
Typing with a Dvorak keyboard
Fastback Book Binding System
Who links to me?