<$BlogRSDURL$>
Prison Pete

Google
 
Sunday, October 23, 2005
  Capture the Moment.
It is now 5:20 PM Wednesday, no letters in mail call. None yesterday either. Monday was Columbus Day, so I have not gotten a letter since Friday and that was a letter from one of the blog readers, Thank You.

But wait - I did get two magazines and two catalogs. Yes sir, I can get people to send me mail if I send them money.

I have said that I would attack my laziness and learn to use the resources at hand to lift my spirits. I did that. I went through one of my many clipping envelopes and I came across a great article and got all fired up. But by the time I got out the pad to write out this draft, the energy level is already beginning to fade. I need to expend energy to write out my thoughts. It would be easier to just talk about the feelings and ideas the article brings up but in order to write out those same thoughts ... it seems to take forever.

As I write, I need to freeze the state of mind to enable me to write out the thoughts. Again one might begin to curse the A.D.D.

The article is from the New York Times (Sept. 7, 2005). It is the ON EDUCATION column by Michael Winerip. The headline is "A Standout Teacher Who Also Stands Out"

I know in my soul that it is the individual spirit that exists inside each one of us that allows us to really make a difference in this world. It is that same spirit that enables us to feed the spirit of others, and this is especially true of teachers.

In education you can have the testing you want but it is the power to excite and create the desire to learn that can really make an individual teacher worth more than any high test scores could ever reveal.

Yet it seems it sometimes our reliance on the 'system’ and encouraging teachers to follow a standard lesson plan that works against the chance to of freeing those teachers that truly have the gift to unleash the desire inside all students to learn for the sake of the learning, not to be able to fill in the proper little boxes on some computerized answer sheet.

I am rapidly losing steam. I want to just lay back and read. I am going to do just that and then start again. This has been a test. Had this been an actual post, you would have been able to read why I was lifted up by this article. Since I have obviously failed in this objective, I will try again to complete this post. Stand by more to follow.
 
Comments:
Hi Pete!
I changed my blog template and my faves didn't change over to my new blog face,so I just re-added you.Thanks for keeping us informed....or in my case thanks for the reminder of what life was like on the inside.UuGH! I know it's a bummer...but what don't kill ya can only make you stronger,or so they say. :-}
Do we still have the same editor,btw? I haven't been keeping up-to-date lately since I've been working so many hours.But hello Mr.Editor!! Thanks for keeping us in prison Pete mail!
Take Care,
Peace,Love,Happiness & Freedom,
T.
 
Oops...forgot to ask..what's the deal w/ the link to the Dvorak Keyboard? I mean,where in the world would you use that type of keyboard,and why?(just curious)
((hugs))
T.
 
This is Pete's Editor.

About the Dvorak keyboard. I use it and I got Pete to try it. On the Dvorak layout, all the most commonly used letters are on the home row, including all the vowels which are under the fingers of your left hand.

I was having wrist and elbow pain a couple of years ago and I type all day for my job so it was a real problem for me. I figured Dvorak with its greatly reduced finger reaches was worth a try to see if it helped.

It took a long time for me to get used to it (I could touch type about 40 wpm but was never a good typist), but now between the new keyboard and some exercises I am now pain free and can type as fast as or slightly faster than I could before. I can't say for sure if it was the keyboard or the exercises or some combination of both (probably) that helped my pain, but typing on the Dvorak keyboard is just so much more pleasant for me.

It's too bad that we all don't switch to the Dvorak layout and start teaching it to children in schools, because it really is much easier to type on it. But like the USA supposedly changing to the Metric system, they were talking about that when I was a kid and it hasn't happened yet so it probably never will.

Too bad for everyone who has to stetch their fingers to type commonly used letters E, T, N, and O, while letters you rarely type like J K F D are under your strongest fingers.

When I have to use someone else's keyboard (rarely) I can still get by as well as (or I should say as poorly as) I ever could on bad old QWERTY (ha ha that "word" is hard to type on the Dvorak keyboard I am currently using). But it feels so primitive and I can type much faster and easier with my Dvorak keyboard. My 2¢.
 
Post a Comment
DIARY OF A PRISONER

View my profile
Contact Prison Pete
Contact the Editor
Blogroll Me!

ARCHIVES
December 2010
November 2010
October 2010
September 2010
August 2010
July 2010
June 2010
May 2010
April 2010
March 2010
February 2010
January 2010

December 2009
November 2009
October 2009
September 2009
August 2009
July 2009
June 2009
May 2009
April 2009
March 2009
February 2009
January 2009

December 2008
November 2008
October 2008
September 2008
August 2008
July 2008
June 2008
May 2008
April 2008
March 2008
February 2008
January 2008

December 2007
November 2007
October 2007
September 2007
August 2007
July 2007
June 2007
May 2007
April 2007
March 2007
February 2007
January 2007

December 2006
November 2006
October 2006
September 2006
August 2006
July 2006
June 2006
May 2006
April 2006
March 2006
February 2006
January 2006

December 2005
November 2005
October 2005
September 2005
August 2005
July 2005
June 2005
May 2005
April 2005
March 2005
February 2005
January 2005

December 2004
November 2004
October 2004
September 2004
August 2004
July 2004
June 2004
May 2004
April 2004

PETE'S BLOGROLL


Powered by Blogger




PETE'S FAVORITES

Authors
Emily Dickinson
Janet Evanovich
Ian Fleming
Jonathan Franzen
Robert Fulghum
Sue Grafton
Tami Hoag
Jean Shepherd

Musicians
Johann Sebastian Bach
Beatles
Beethoven
Virgil Fox
Benny Goodman
Vladimir Horowitz
Itzhak Perlman
David Russell
Lonnie Smith

Radio and TV Shows
All Things Considered
Capitol Steps
Fawlty Towers
Fresh Air
The Infinite Mind
Jazz After Hours
Jeeves and Wooster
Pipe Dreams
symphonyspace.org

Media, Publishers, Networks
Amazon
Augsberg Fortress Press
Hamilton Bookseller
hamiltonbook.com
NY Daily News
NY Newsday
NY Times
NPR
PBS
PC Magazine
WNED Buffalo, NY

Helpful Organizations
Kauffman.org
WKKF.org

Government
Federal Bureau of Prisons
NY State Court of Appeals
NY State Department of Corrections

Other
Typing with a Dvorak keyboard
Fastback Book Binding System
Who links to me?