<$BlogRSDURL$>
Prison Pete

Google
 
Thursday, May 24, 2007
  He's Back.
Away is nice, and I do not have a home to come home to, but alas here is as close as I get to a home.

If it got posted, you all know by now that I had my nose fixed this past Wednesday. Today it is Monday. My nose is still all packed. I cannot breathe through it at all and as a result have absolutely no sense of smell or taste. Two senses down. My eyesight is some-what problematic with the broken frames and a nose that is covered with a plaster bandage that makes it difficult to get my glasses to stay in the correct place.

The surgery took over three hours on Wednesday afternoon. When I awoke in the recovery area there was some difficulty with stopping the blood from flowing out of my nose. As far as I understand, all the work was done on the inside of my nose with the exception of the hammering that was done to break the various bones that were then reset to allow both sides of my nose to have equal access to outside air.

While one of the surgeons shoved additional packing inside my nose, without the aid of any anesthesia, think feeling of steel wool shoved up a very sore nose, one of the officers that was guarding me managed to get me a room in the hospital prison wing over night. The original plan called for me to be handcuffed and shackled and driven about two hours to a different (than my current location) secure location facility that has an infirmary.

The hospital wing I stayed in is specifically a prison wing. I was able to be in a private room without any handcuffs or ankle chains. I was in no condition to go out and party and sleeping was difficult, I sat up in the bed most of the night and was able to watch a bunch of TV shows. As a sort of rebellion to my normal surroundings, I watched a couple reruns of the Will and Grace Show. Something that would certainly not be kosher back here in my secure location. Anything relating to male homosexuality is strictly off limits.

One or two of the nurses said how awful I looked and it must hurt a bunch. I thanked them for the TLC and they mentioned I should enjoy it as they were sure I would not be getting much of it. I had not seen the way I looked at this point but the pain was a constant aching and an itch that one could not scratch. Thursday morning I was told I was going to be moved to the prison with the infirmary. One nurse said she wished I could stay as I was the easiest patient to deal with. That was mostly a result of me not asking for anything all night and putting up with the pain.

I am now starting page two and in an effort to start with a clean slate I am going back to the original method of typing this as a draft and will then proof and print a final copy.

After putting my official prison clothes back on (I had spent the previous twenty four hours in my BVD's (yes Mom they were clean ones) and a hospital gown) having the four pounds of anti-escape hardware properly secured to my person it was off in a well secured van for the two hour trip to the prison infirmary. On arrival at the infirmary, I was issued a pair of pajama pants and shirt. All my official prison clothes were packed away till I was due to leave. The infirmary has room for over twenty inmates, but there were only six inmates there while I was there from Thursday afternoon till Monday morning. Two on the six inmates were confined to their individual rooms. One of the remaining four had his own room, leaving me and two other inmates to share one of the four bed rooms.

One of the unique features of this location is the "Tub Room". Yes, a room that contained both a double wide shower and one full size bathtub. Being one to make the best use of the resources at my disposal, I celebrated Saturday with my first and only bath in over ten years. Since there were so few inmates, and my privacy was fairly well assured, not only was I able to soak my pain wracked body in a nice hot bath but I was able to do so in my birthday suit.

All that was missing was the candles and a member of the opposite sex to wash my back. Otherwise it was a very relaxing hour or so.

The change from living in a dorm with 59 other inmates to sharing a room with two other grown men was too much to bear. I could have probably extended my stay for another day or so as I am due to have some (all?) of the packing out any day now, but I sort of begged to return here today. Part of the urge to return was the fear that they might end up reassigning my bed space, and frankly, I was getting too comfortable being able to just lie around and rest and read all day.

While I can not really taste much of anything, I needed to get back to my self provided high protein diet. I had eaten "prison food" meals from Thursday evening through Monday morning and that was more meals than I had had in the last six months total. I did have two hospital meals. Thursday's breakfast, which was really a break of the fast I had been on since Tuesday 10:00 PM, contained three pancakes, a tasty blueberry muffin (okay it looked tasty, I could not taste anything) and a Dannon fruit yogurt (an item I have not had in over ten years). Lunch was a plate of spaghetti in meat sauce.

I was without most of my personal property, save some deodorant, my tooth brush, hair brush and personal all cotton underwear, I have celebrated my return by typing this post, listing to the Monday Night Sock Hop on the one radio station that I get and enjoying a few cups of tea. Lunch was two peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, and dinner was tuna salad on toast with two slices of American cheese on each of the two sandwiches.

I spent a few hours this afternoon back at my maintenance job even though I am entitled to more bed rest if I want it.

Most of the inmates in the dorm welcomed me back and offered their sympathy for my pain. One hopes no wannabe thugs will take my current condition and decide to attack me while I sleep.

As a result of the second fire in a cube we had two weeks ago, I have been assured that one or two of the inmates that were caught up in the investigation (and have been removed from the facility) were the same ones that had instigated the sneak attack on me while I slept. For the short term I feel slightly safer.

It is almost 9:00 so let me wrap this up. I am going to work diligently at getting my posting more regular and as a much needed assist to my favorite editor doing more draft, proof and then print. I heard pigs might fly soon. Seriously, I know my writing has been lacking in substance of late and hopefully you faithful readers out there will notice an improvement in the near future.
 
Comments:
I'm glad your surgery is over and done with. I hope you feel better. I look forward to reading more frequent updates on your blog.

Peace!
 
Post a Comment
DIARY OF A PRISONER

View my profile
Contact Prison Pete
Contact the Editor
Blogroll Me!

ARCHIVES
December 2010
November 2010
October 2010
September 2010
August 2010
July 2010
June 2010
May 2010
April 2010
March 2010
February 2010
January 2010

December 2009
November 2009
October 2009
September 2009
August 2009
July 2009
June 2009
May 2009
April 2009
March 2009
February 2009
January 2009

December 2008
November 2008
October 2008
September 2008
August 2008
July 2008
June 2008
May 2008
April 2008
March 2008
February 2008
January 2008

December 2007
November 2007
October 2007
September 2007
August 2007
July 2007
June 2007
May 2007
April 2007
March 2007
February 2007
January 2007

December 2006
November 2006
October 2006
September 2006
August 2006
July 2006
June 2006
May 2006
April 2006
March 2006
February 2006
January 2006

December 2005
November 2005
October 2005
September 2005
August 2005
July 2005
June 2005
May 2005
April 2005
March 2005
February 2005
January 2005

December 2004
November 2004
October 2004
September 2004
August 2004
July 2004
June 2004
May 2004
April 2004

PETE'S BLOGROLL


Powered by Blogger




PETE'S FAVORITES

Authors
Emily Dickinson
Janet Evanovich
Ian Fleming
Jonathan Franzen
Robert Fulghum
Sue Grafton
Tami Hoag
Jean Shepherd

Musicians
Johann Sebastian Bach
Beatles
Beethoven
Virgil Fox
Benny Goodman
Vladimir Horowitz
Itzhak Perlman
David Russell
Lonnie Smith

Radio and TV Shows
All Things Considered
Capitol Steps
Fawlty Towers
Fresh Air
The Infinite Mind
Jazz After Hours
Jeeves and Wooster
Pipe Dreams
symphonyspace.org

Media, Publishers, Networks
Amazon
Augsberg Fortress Press
Hamilton Bookseller
hamiltonbook.com
NY Daily News
NY Newsday
NY Times
NPR
PBS
PC Magazine
WNED Buffalo, NY

Helpful Organizations
Kauffman.org
WKKF.org

Government
Federal Bureau of Prisons
NY State Court of Appeals
NY State Department of Corrections

Other
Typing with a Dvorak keyboard
Fastback Book Binding System
Who links to me?